Olathe Civic Theatre Association (OCTA) will host its second annual New Works Playwright Competition, a unique opportunity for local playwrights to get their name out in the community and have a chance to see a workshop performance of their production on the OCTA stage!
Submissions will consist of a 10-15 minute teaser for a full-length play and should be performance ready. Our patrons will be invited to a weekend long event showcasing five finalists, and will vote on the new work they wish to see workshopped as a full-length version on the OCTA stage. Only submissions that have not previously been produced will be considered.
Playwrights: Aspiring and established playwrights residing in Kansas or in the Kansas City area (Jackson, Clay, Platte, or Cass counties).
OCTA is an all-volunteer 501(c)(3) organization producing theatre in Olathe since 1974. Performing in the Buddy Rogers Family Playhouse, OCTA produces five high-quality, engaging, and thought-provoking theatre productions a year. Through the generosity of volunteers, season ticket holders, donors, the city, and the community, in addition to a dedicated board of directors, OCTA has grown into one of the most progressive community theaters in the entire Kansas City metropolitan area.
OCTA continues to seek ways to provide aspiring artists opportunities to grow. We feel our unique space and collaborative spirit can provide a safe environment for aspiring playwrights to be heard.
Deadline for submission: November 25, 2017
New Works Playwright Competition Showcase: March 2 & 3, 2018
Olathe Civic Theatre Association
500 E. Loula | Olathe, KS 66061
Phone: (913) 782-2990 | Web: www.olathetheatre.org
Send a 10-page teaser of a full length play (60+ pages) to OCTANewWorks@gmail.com
▪ The teaser should showcase the theme of your play. This is what will be presented in a staged reading to our patrons if chosen.
▪ Selection committee will narrow submissions to 10 semi-finalists. Semi-finalists will be asked to submit a completed play. Please note: Excessive language that does not further characterization or plot will not be accepted on the OCTA stage.
▪ Selection committee will then narrow the selection to five script teasers that will be shown at the New Works Playwright
Competition Showcase in March.
▪ Submissions should be in .pdf format.
▪ This is a blind submissions process. Scripts containing the playwright’s name in the .pdf will not be considered.
▪ Please put “PLAY TITLE: OCTA New Works” as the subject line in the email. ^^^ Don’t be a pain. Put your show title, not “PLAY TITLE” ^^^
▪ Body of submission email should contain playwright’s name, synopsis of play in 100 words or less, and a character list. Only
characters in the teaser are necessary for this purpose.
▪ Playwrights can submit up to two plays for consideration.
▪ Only electronic submissions will be considered.
▪ Musical submissions will be accepted, however we ask that you include a demo of songs to be performed at the reading. Should
your work be selected, performers will be expected to sing with a recorded track as musicians will not be provided.